Tuesday, November 3, 2009

bring it

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
- Isaiah 40:31


18kms.

I've done it before, last Friday to be exact, around Parramatta Park.

Today was different though. It shouldn't have happened today.

Let me take you through my last 36 hours.

Monday night, refuge.

Tuesday morning, refuge.

Tuesday day, Dooleys.

Tuesday afternoon...........my first injection of chemo medication. This is the part where it gets interesting. I have to now take the injection form of my oral medication, in order to increase it's potency via the blood stream instead of the digestive system. It makes the meds more effective........but it makes the side effects worse. And instead of the side effects kicking in after about an hour (when im usually fast asleep), they kicked in within 5 minutes, at 4.25pm.

My night was challenging. I was challenged.

Wednesday morning, I was up at 7.40am. In a foul mood, barely any sleep and feeling the normal sensation of disconnection that I have the day after taking my meds.

But GiGi called, and I decided to go for a ride.

The first lap of Parramatta Park was a blur. The second lap I was angry.

But then the third lap happened. It wasn't about how many laps I could do, how far I could go, getting up that hill. Didnt matter any more. It was about proving to my demons that they don't have a say anymore about what my body can or can't do. I had arthritis by its throat, stared it in the face, and said, "get behind me". I'm going the 18.

And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment